Restaurant style Paneer Butter Masala without any onions,garlic or heavy cream! It’s a perfect dish for vegans as well, just substitute the paneer with tofu and the milk/cream with water. Since most Indian curries use fried onions as a base, I used cashews and tomatoes to provide a rich curry base and used cardamoms and kasoori methi to give the restaurant style flavor!
I made the Paneer Butter Masala using this No Onion,Garlic or Cream Curry, base which is so versatile, I use if for Lauki Kofta Curry, No Onion Garlic Malai Kofta, Palak Paneer, Chana and even Rajma. Another popular recipe is Dum Aloo without onions,garlic and ginger, made in an Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker. The best part is it tastes so good without even frying the potatoes
This is a great recipe to make during fasts,if however there are some ingredients that you don’t consume while fasting, please tweak the recipe accordingly. If you are making this recipe while not fasting, please add coriander powder, haldi and garam masala for additional taste and flavor. Another recipe that is popular on my blog is the Paneer ki sabzi without Onion and Garlic-A Navratri/Vrat Recipe, Some of the other recipes for Navratri fasting are compiled in this Collection of Navratri/Vrat Recipes. Please also check out Navratri Parshad-Halwa,Poori and Chana, and How to make Atte ka Diya for Mata ki Chowki/ Diwali Pujan/Karwa Chauth/Teej.
Sharing a Collection of 20 Healthy Fasting Recipes -(Low fat, non fried and high protein)
Moving on to the recipe, here is the written recipe followed by the step by step pictorial one-
Yields 2 cups
Restaurant style Paneer Butter Masala without any onions, garlic or cream.
5 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 14 oz/400 gms Paneer cubed or cut into triangles(vegans use tofu)
- 1/2 cup Cashews
- 1 cup Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 tsp Green Chilies, minced
- 2 tsp Ginger,minced
- 2 tsp Cumin/Jeera
- 1 tsp Paprika/Kashmiri Lal Mirch(optional for additional color)
- 4 Green Cardamoms/Elaichi,crushed
- 1 tbsp Kasoori Methi/dry Fenugreek leaves
- 1 cup Milk, Full fat preferred. I used 2 %(For vegan option, use water)
- 2-3 Tbsp Butter/Ghee/Oil(For vegan option use oil)
- 1/2 cup water for grinding
- Salt as needed
- Blend Cashews, Crushed tomatoes and 1/2 cup water till smooth.
- In 3 tbsp Butter/Ghee/Oil add Cumin/Jeera and let it crackle.
- Add crushed Green Cardamoms, stir and add ginger and green chili paste till the raw smell of ginger goes away.
- Add tomato-cashew paste and stir for few minutes.
- Add paprika and Kasoori Methi/dry fenugreek leaves and continue to stir.
- Add milk and bring to a boil and continue to cook till fat separates.
- Add paneer pieces and bring to a boil. Serve with roti,nan or rice.
- The curry will thicken upon keeping,so add milk/water as needed.Blend Cashews, Crushed tomatoes and 1/2 cup water till smooth.
Curry will thicken, use milk/cream or water to thin it out accordingly.This recipe is meant to be consumed while fasting. If there are some things that you don't consume during vrat/fasting, please prepare recipe without those ingredients. If you are not fasting, you can add turmeric and garam masala.
Here is the step by step pictorial recipe-
Blend cashews and tomatoes into a smooth paste
Melt butter/ghee/oil in a pan and jeera/cumin,let it splutter. Add crushed green cardamoms
Add minced ginger and Green chilies and cook till raw smell of ginger goes away
Add tomato/cashew paste and stir well
Add kasoori methi and stir well
Add milk/cream or water and bring to a boil
Continue to cook on medium/low till fat separates(That’s the clue that the curry is ready)
Add paneer pieces and bring to a boil.Curry is thick at this point-add milk/cream/water to thin it out(I used 2% milk)
Please like my Facebook page to continue to get healthy,easy and tasty recipes from me.
Disclaimer: The nutritional information shared here is approximate. Variations may exist due to ingredients and brands used. Please refer to a Registered Dietitian
or Nutritionist if you have any health issues or questions.
*I have made these recipe following the fasting rules observed in my family. If there are certain things that you don’t consume during fasting, please tweak the recipe and make without it*