With only 3 ingredients, one pan, 8 minutes this is regularly made by me for parties and pujas. It tastes like a million bucks, looks like a million bucks, but no one needs to know you didn’t slave over it for hours! I first had it a few years back when my friend was visiting her family in Washington and it was one of the desserts made for Diwali.
She loved the taste so much that she actually saved a few pieces to bring home. When I tasted it, I couldn’t believe that this was home made and that too in the microwave in 8 minutes. She got me the recipe and I tweaked it to my taste and since then I have made it innumerable times
For true kalakand fans, you know that we want the’ Danedaar'(granular) look and taste, that comes from cooking the milk for hours! That same ‘Danedaar'(granular) look and feel is present in this simple, homemade, microwave version. So make it for your next party, Diwali,Navratri, Karwa Chauth, Teej and get ready for the compliments! Some other easy recipes that are ready in under 10 minutes are-Indian Milk Cake-Sindhi Bhugal Mawa, Badaam Ki Barfi with Almond Flour, Instant Shahi Tukra, Mango Peda and Mishti Doi-Easy Stir and Set Recipe.
I have put together a collection of 12 easy Indian desserts ready in 10 minutes or less. You will make these again and again for the ease,simplicity and taste.
Recipe courtesy Madhu and Sunita
Here is the written recipe followed by the step by step pictorial one-
Yields 20-25 pieces
With only 3 ingredients, one pan, 8 minutes in the microwave this is one of the easiest recipes of Kalakand. The texture is danedar or granular the way its sold in sweet shops in India.
2 minPrep Time
8 minCook Time
10 minTotal Time
- 3 cups Full Fat Milk Powder-I used Nido Brand
- 1 can/14 oz/396 gms. Condensed Milk
- 300 ml/300 gms. heavy whipping cream
- Crushed Green cardamom seeds,a pinch
- a few strands of saffron
- Rose water for dabbing on top(optional)
- Saffron, chopped almonds and pistachios for garnishing
- Take a microwave safe, rectangular glass dish and put the milk powder in it.
- Empty the condensed milk and heavy whipping cream on top.
- Sprinkle the Cardamom powder and saffron on top and mix everything well.
- Microwave on HIGH, for 3 minutes.
- Take out from microwave, stir and break lumps and put it back for another 3 minutes(BE VERY CAREFUL, IT MIGHT BOIL OVER. WATCH THE MICROWAVE, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT MIGHT BOIL OVER,STOP, PAUSE, CONTINUE COOKING)
- Take out dish again, stir lumps and put back in the microwave for another 2 minutes.
- At this point it should be pretty much done,depending on microwave. If you need to, stir again and do another 1 minute.
- So 3 minutes-Stir-3 minutes-stir-2 minutes, that should be the time line. If need to, do another minute, if still needed, do another minute.
- Put wax paper on top and take a flat bowl to smoothen top, if needed.
- Apply Rose water on top,let it rest for 5-10 minutes and cut into pieces.
- Decorate with chopped nuts and additional Saffron
This is the easiest and tastiest kalakand ever. Just be careful, it tends to boil over,if you see it rising,(because it is milk) stop the microwave and pause for a few seconds and restart. For me it usually takes 8-9 minutes, be careful not to overcook. The timing can depend on the wattage of the microwave. Remember, 3 minutes-stir-3 minutes-stir-2 minutes
Here is the step by step pictorial recipe-
Only 3 ingredients
Put milk powder in a rectangular, microwave safe dish
Pour Condensed Milk, whipping cream on top
Sprinkle some cardamom powder and saffron on top(saffron is optional)
After the first 3 minutes, you can see the sides have started turning into solids
Mix well and put back in the microwave for another 3 minutes and then stir and another 2 minutes
Kalakand is cooked and ready
Put wax paper and flatten with a bowl to smoothen the top(optional)
let it rest for a few minutes, dab some Rose water on top(optional) and cut into pieces
Garnish with nuts and saffron
Please like my Facebook page to continue to get healthy,easy and tasty recipes from me