Moong Dal vadas without the fat! High protein,lots of flavor and made in one spoon of oil in an appam pan, appetizers don’t get better than that! Enjoy a guilt free appetizer without missing out on taste. i wanted to make the Moong dal vadas without the calories that come with frying it, so tried to make it in an Appe pan.
I also wanted to give it a boost of flavor by adding tarka to it. The flavor of the mustard seeds, along with green chilies and curry leaves really does take the simple moong vada to a whole new level.
It tastes even better when cooked in coconut oil, though for some coconut oil is an acquired taste. I added chopped onions and cilantro, though you can add some coconut, peanuts, fresh ginger as a variation .
Have it with a cup of hot tea or serve it with drinks as an appetizer.
Recipe updated with new pictures on 9/21/2020
Some other healthy, low fat recipes made in the appe pan are-
Moving on to the recipe, here is the written recipe followed by the step by step pictorial one-
Yields 14 appe
Serves 4 appe
Moong Dal vadas without the fat! High protein,lots of flavor and made in one spoon of oil,appetizers don't get better than that! Enjoy a guilt free appetizer without missing out on taste.
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup yellow Moong Dal
- 1-2 Green chili/ 1/2 tsp minced green chilie
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger/ 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro/coriander/dhania leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped onion
- 1 chopped Green chili(optional)
- salt as needed, I used a little over 1/2 tsp
- 3/4 tsp Eno
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds/rai
- 1/2 tsp Urad dal
- 1 chopped Green chili
- Few curry leaves
- Wash and soak dal overnight.
- Rinse well and grind with ginger and green chili or add minced ginger and green chilies to ground dal
- Heat Oil and add mustard seeds and urad dal,cook till Urad dal turns golden.
- Add chopped Green chili and curry leaves(tear the curry leaves into small pieces)
- Add tarka to ground dal
- Add chopped onion and cilantro/coriander leaves/dhania
- Add salt as needed
- Heat Appe pan and put few drops of oil in each cavity,let oil in the cavities heat
- Add Eno to the batter and immediately put a small amount into the Appe pan.
- Cover and cook on both sides till golden.
- Serve with chatnis.
I have a small Appe pan ,so I like to add Eno to only half the quantity, when I am ready to put in the second batch, I add Eno again just so they all stay soft and fluffy. 1/2 cup soaked dal yields 1 cup of ground dal.
Here is the step by step pictorial recipe-
Grind soaked Moong dal with ginger and green chili.
Make tarka by adding mustard seeds, Urad dal, chopped green chilies and curry leaves to hot oil.
Add tarka to ground dal
Add chopped onions and cilantro/coriander/dhania to batter
Mix well and add Eno just before cooking in heated Appe pan
Cook both sides till golden.
Please like my Facebook page to continue to get healthy,easy and tasty recipes from me