Five ingredients and five minutes is all you need to make this classic Indian dessert- Shahi Tukra. The word shahi literally means ‘Royal’ and Tukra means a piece. When a humble piece of bread is deep fried and soaked in delicious rabri(Flavored and thickened milk) and topped with nuts and saffron it really does look and taste royal.
If you follow my recipes, then you know how I love quick,easy recipes. I am also very health conscious, so I wanted to make this dessert low fat and instant. I decided to use my very popular Instant Rabri with Ready Rusk/Toast -the kind we dunk in our Indian tea. Voila! it made the best Shahi Tukra without much effort. You can serve shahi tukra hot or cold. If serving immediately, make sure the toast is fully soaked in Rabri. if needed microwave it just for 30 seconds to a minute.
I cant help but think about my first trial of Shahi Tukra, when I first came to this country. I made rabri the old fashioned way by thickening it over the stove for hours and still burnt it! The white sandwich bread that I fried soaked up so much oil that I couldn’t bring myself to eat it. Needless to say, everything went into the trash can!
Here is the written recipe followed by the step by step pictorial one-
Yields 12-14 pieces
Five ingredients and five minutes is all that's needed to make this Instant Shahi Tukra.
1 minPrep Time
4 minCook Time
5 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups Full Fat Milk Powder(I used Nido Brand)
- 1/2 can condensed milk/7 oz/200 gms
- 250 ml Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3/4 to 1 cup Milk,I used 2% milk
- 1/8 tsp or less of crushed green cardamom seeds
- Few strands of saffron and chopped nuts for garnishing
- 12-15 Rusk(I used Brittania Wheat Rusk,Suji Toast)
- Mix Milk Powder, Condensed Milk,Heavy whipping and cardamom powder in a large microwave safe glass bowl.
- Microwave for two minutes, mix microwave for one minute, mix and microwave an additional one minute.
- Your Instant Rabri is ready.
- Add 3/4 to 1 cup milk to the Rabri and stir.
- Dip each Rusk, completely in the rabri, turn over, making sure its fully soaked and remove onto a plate.
- Cover and chill before serving(I left it in the fridge all night)
- Garnish with nuts and saffron
Do not use Cake Rusk, we want the dry kind that we dunk in tea. The thickness of the rabri depends on the wattage of the microwave and milk used. Adjust the timing of the microwave and the amount of milk accordingly. Keep in mind that the rabri thickens as it cools. I used 12 Rusk and saved some rabri for pouring on top, just before serving. The rabri thickened in the fridge, I added a few tbsp of milk and microwaved for 1 minute before serving and garnishing.
Here is the step by step pictorial recipe-
To Milk powder, add whipping cream
Add condensed milk
Add cardamom and saffron and mix well
Microwave for 2 minutes,mix micro for 1 minute, mix and micro again for 1 minute
Add milk and your Rabri is ready for soaking the Rusk/Toast/Tukra
Dip the Rusk/toast completely in Rabri and set aside to chill
Top with additional rabri and nuts just before serving
Please like my Facebook page to continue to get healthy,easy and tasty recipes from me.