These Instant Mixed Dal idlis require no rice or fermentation. Made in a spoonful of oil its a healthy, high protein meal and ideal for those avoiding rice as well as diabetics controlling the intake of high glycemic food.
After my extremely popular Mixed Dal Dosa-No Rice No Fermentation became the most viewed and tried recipe on my blog, I knew I had to try instant idlis with only dal and no rice. It was on my mind for some time when one of my readers queried about wanting to make idlis out of the dosa batter. I told her to put some Eno and steam it. She replied back within a day with pictures of beautifully steamed idlis. She had followed through by adding the Eno and gotten perfectly soft idlis!
Of course, me being me, couldn’t just settle for plain idlis. I wanted to add tarka to the batter for more flavor. These idlis are so flavorful,you can actually eat these plain,straight from the steamer! I also wanted to avoid the orange masoor dal as it imparts a slight pinkish/orangish hue to the batter. That hue is perfect when you are making dosas which are meant to be golden brown but not in idlis which should be whitish.I kept the same batter as the dosa, just replaced the Orange Masoor dal with the Arhar/toor dal. You can definitely make dosas from this batter,before adding the tarka and uttapams after adding tarka.
Here is the written recipe followed by the step by step pictorial one-
Yields 24-28 idlis
Instant Mixed Dal idlis that requires no rice or fermentation. Made in a spoonful of oil its a healthy, high protein meal and ideal for those avoiding rice.
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 2/3 cup White Urad Dal
- 1/3 cup Yellow Moong Dal
- 1/3 cup Arhar/Toor Dal
- 1/3 cup Chana Dal
- Salt as per taste
- 1 1/2 tsp Eno/Fruit salt,divided
- Water as needed for grinding
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp White Urad Dal
- 3 Green chilies, chopped
- 10-12 curry leaves,torn
- Wash all dals together till water runs clear and soak overnight.
- Grind the dals with some water till smooth(Don't add too much water, just enough to make a smooth batter)
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a small pan.
- Add Mustard seeds and urad dal and cook till Urad dal turns golden(You may have to cover the pan as mustard seeds will crackle and splutter)
- Add chopped green chilies and curry leaves and stir.
- Add the tarka/vaghar to the dal batter
- Add salt and water as needed.
- Grease the idli molds with oil and put a large pot with about 3/4 inch water to boil,for steaming.
- In ONLY HALF THE BATTER,add 3/4 tsp Eno/Fruit Salt, you will see the batter froth.
- Mix well and put about 1 tbsp in each idli mold/cavity.
- Steam IMMEDIATELY(with lid on) for 15 minutes on medium for soft fluffy idlis.
Add Eno to only half the batter as the effect of Eno wears out if we let the batter sit. When we get ready to make a second batch of idlis add Eno to the second half just before steaming.The tarka/vaghar adds a lot of flavor but is optional. To reheat the idlis,sprinkle a few drops of water,wrap in a wet paper towel and micro for 15-20 seconds per idli.
Here is the step by step pictorial recipe-
Wash and soak all dals overnight
The dals will double, rinse,drain and grind to a smooth batter
Ingredients for tarka(tarka is optional)
Start the steamer
In hot oil, add mustard seeds and Urad dal, cook till dal turns golden. Add curry leaves and green chilies and stir and remove
Add tarka to the batter. Add salt and water if needed to thin out batter
In half the batter add Eno/fruit salt
Batter will start frothing immediately,mix well
Fill about 1 tbsp in each idli mold,( they will expand) and steam for 15 minutes.
Please like my Facebook page to continue to get healthy,easy and tasty recipes from me.
Your comments and reviews help me grow as a blogger. Please leave a comment on my blog is you try any of my recipes
Your shares encourage me to keep doing what I love most,please share and spread the love
Love,thanks and appreciation