Dabeli, such a tasty snack with Meethi Chatni,Green Chatni, potatoes and Masala peanuts all toasted to a crisp! Till a few years back, I had never eaten or heard of Dabeli. My friend lavina introduced me to it a few years back when she made it for a Valentines day party.
I followed her recipe, except instead of using bread rolls I gave it a modern avatar and used Puff pastry sheets. Also, the original recipe calls for frying the peanuts, but I used the Roasted peanuts and just crisped them in the microwave to make a low fat version of Masala peanuts.
The advantages of using puff pastry is that it gives it such a WOW factor! It can be assembled in advance and frozen and served hot from the oven,when your guests arrive, which is what I did for my Diwali party. I garnished with chopped onions,cilantro,chilies,sev and peanuts and that made it look so appealing.
Recipe by Lavina Sadarangani
- 4 boiled potatoes, grated
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp Jeera/Cumin
- 1 tsp Pavbhaji masala
- 1 tsp Dabeli masala
- 6 tbsp Meethi chatni
- 2 tbsp Green chatni
- 2-3 sppons of Green chatni
- 2-3 spoons of Meethi chatni
- 1/2 cup Masala peanuts, Crushed coarsely
- Chopped cilantro, Green chilies, chopped onions, and Nylon Sev
- In hot oil, add Jeera/Cumin and let it crackle
- Add Dabeli and Pavbhaji masala,stir
- Add grated, boiled potatoes and Meethi chatni and continue to cook.
- Add Green chatni, turn off gas and remove.
- Thaw puff pastry as per directions on box. Use one sheet and keep other in refrigerator, till needed.
- Preheat oven to 400 F or whatever are the directions on the box of puff pastry.
- On parchment paper, put the pastry, put water in cracks and roll a little with rolling pin.
- Spread Green chatni
- Spread Meethi chatni
- Spread prepared aloo/Potatoes
- Sprinkle Masala peanuta
- Roll the puff pastry as tightly as possible.
- Brush with milk or egg(I used milk) and cut into 16 pieces.
- Bake on a well oiled baking sheet till golden brown.
- Spread pieces on a plate and put in freezer for some time. Once the pieces are firm, put in a container, spread wax paper and you can layer a second layer of dabeli twists on top. When ready to use frozen Dabeli twists,place on a well oiled baking sheet, and bake at 400 F till golden brown.
- Serve topped with chopped onions, cilantro green chilies, more chopped peanuts and sev.
Always work with cold pastry, if it has been lying out for some time, put it in the fridge or freezer for 10-15 minutes.
Here is the step by step pictorial recipe-
In hot oil, add jeera/Cumin till it crackles
Add Pav bhaji masala, Dabeli Masal, stir and then boiled, grated potatoes
Add Meethi Chatni and mix well
Turn off gas/stove and add Green chatni and remove
Put Masala Peanuts in ziploc bag and crush with rolling pin
Thaw puff pastry as per directions, and roll lightly with rolling pins, making sure there are no cracks.
Spread Green chatni
Evenly spread a thin layer of potatoes
Sprinkle coarsely crushed Masala peanuts
Roll Puff pastry as tightly as possible
Brush with egg or milk(i used milk) but egg gives a better color and glaze
Slice carefully into 15-16 pieces
Bake at 400 F till pastry turns a golden brown color
Garnish with chopped onions, cilantro, vhopped green chilies, sev and more crushed Masala Peanuts
Place on a plate/tray and put in freezer till they are firm and solid
Put wax paper between layers and freeze for making later
For Pesto Moong Dal Appe,click here
For Couscous Salad with Feta Cheese and Olives,click here
For Masala peanuts in 2 minutes-Spicy Peanuts in 2 minutes,click here
For Quinoa Oatmeal Dhokla,click here
For Jalapeno Poppers with cream cheese-No fry recipe,click here
For Green Moong Dhokla/ Mung Bean Dhokla,click here
For Mexican Spirals/ Black Bean Pinwheels,click here
For Perfect Puffy Puris-Fried Indian Bread,click here
For Ma ki Dal/ Dal Makhni in Crock Pot-recipe for 20-30 people, click here
For How to organize/ plan the best stressfree dinner party , click here
For Miracle oil for Hair Loss and Frizziness , click here
For Quinoa-A basic no frill recipe click here
For Asian Slaw-Asian Salad, click here