A favorite in our house for Thanksgiving for the last 20 years now. I had this casserole 20 years back in Orlando when my assistant teacher, Nancy got this for the staff just before Christmas. I was very new to this country and had never eaten anything like this before.
I loved the taste, and immediately asked her for the recipe. She had made it with Cream of Chicken, but since I have many vegetarian friends, I usually make with Cream of Mushroom.
I like to spice things up a bit by adding Red chili powder into the soup/cheese mixture and also topping it with jalapenos. I kept it mild this time because I was making it for my daughters friends and knew they would not be able to handle the heat.
If you like things a bit spicy, you will love the flavor of jalapenos on top ! Jazz it up,however you like or just keep it simple as the original recipe calls for, its delicious either way!
Here is the written recipe followed by the step by step pictorial one-
Yields 9*13 casserole
A delicious,easy casserole made with only 5 ingredients,perfect for vegetarians,is gluten free,tastes great for dinner or breakfast and can be assembled ahead of time.
5 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
- 16 Hashbrown patties
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom or Chicken,condensed soup,10.75 oz,304 gms
- 1 cup Sour Cream,8 oz
- 1 cup shredded Cheese, any kind though Cheddar is preferred.
- 1/2 chopped onions
- melted butter
- crushed crackers or cornflakes or breadcrumbs for topping
- Thaw Hashbrown patties in refrigerator before assembling
- in a 9*13 pan, place Hashbrown patties in a single layer.
- Drizzle with Melted butter/ghee
- Place a second layer of hashbrown on top of first and again drizzle with melted butter.
- Mix Cream of Mushroom/Chicken with sourcream, cheese and onions.
- Spread evenly on top of Hashbrowns.
- Crumble Crackers or corn flakes an mix with melted butter and sprinkle as a topping on top of soup,cheese mix.
- Bake at 350 F for one hour. Broil for few minutes if you want a golden crusty top.
Original recipe calls for Cream Of Chicken, since I wanted to make a vegetarian version of the casserole, I used Cream of Mushroom.
Recipe by Nancy Geerts
Here is the step by step pictorial recipe-
Place a layer of Hashbrowns in a 9*13 pan(May have to cut hashbrown to adjust in pan)
Drizzle with butter and place a second layer of Hashbrown. Drizzle again with melted butter.
Mix soup, sour cream, cheese and chopped onions
Put soup,cheese mixture on top of hashbrowns
Evenly spread all over hashbrowns
Crush Crackers or cornflakes with a rolling pin(I had crackers at home, though original recipe calls for cornflakes)
Put crushed crackers and drizzle with melted butter(At this point you can put in fridge and bake when you need to)
Bake at 350 F for 1 hour(If refrigerated for later use, increase baking time by 10 minutes)
Please like my Facebook page to continue to get healthy,easy and tasty recipes from me