Restaurant style taste without onions,garlic or cream! The thickness to the gravy comes from cashews and tomatoes, while the cardamoms and kasoori methi/dried fenugreek leaves provide the restaurant flavor that we are looking for.
I make lauki ke kofte/appe pretty often as a tea time snack and just love the flavor of No Onion,Garlic or Cream Curry . In fact I love to use this curry base for a lot of curries that I prepare, including Paneer Buttermasala, Palak Paneer,Malai Koftas, Rajma, Chana-it’s that versatile. You can even use it for any non veg dish as well.
Yields 15-20 kofte
Restaurant style no onion,garlic or cream gravy with lauki ke appe/kofte make this a very healthy and delicious dish.
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 2 cups Grated lauki/Ghiya/Bottlegourd
- 1/2 Medium Onion,chopped(optional)
- 3 green chilies, chopped
- 2 tbsp Cilantro/Coriander/Dhaniya
- 1 tsp Whole Coriander seeds,crushed coarsely
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili powder/Lal Mirch powder
- Salt as per taste,about 1 tsp
- 1/2 cup Gramflour/Besan,or as needed to bind
- Ghee/Oil for cooking
- 1/2 cup Cashews
- 1 cup Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 tsp Green Chilies, minced
- 2 tsp Ginger,minced
- 2 tsp Cumin/Jeera
- 1 tsp Paprika(optional for additional color)
- 4 Green Cardamoms/Elaichi,crushed
- 1 tbsp Kasoori Methi/dry Fenugreek leaves
- 1 cup Milk, Full fat preferred. I used 2 %(For vegan option, use water)
- 2 Tbsp Butter/Ghee/Oil(For vegan option use oil)
- 1/2 cup water for grinding
- Grate lauki/Ghiya and squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Add all the ingredients, except salt.
- Heat up the Appe pan and put few drops of ghee/oil in EACH CAVITY.
- Add salt and mix the batter well
- Put dollops of batter in each cavity and brown well on both sides.
- Enjoy with chatni as an appetizer or as a meal dunked in gravy.
- Blend Cashews, Crushed tomatoes and 1/2 cup water till smooth.
- In 3 tbsp Butter/Ghee/Oil add Cumin/Jeera and let it crackle.
- Add crushed Green Cardamoms, stir and add ginger and green chili paste till the raw smell of ginger goes away.
- Add tomato-cashew paste and stir for few minutes.
- Add paprika and Kasoori Methi and continue to stir.
- Add milk and bring to a boil and continue to cook till fat separates(For vegan option add water)
- The curry will thicken upon keeping,so add milk/water as needed.
- Add koftas and bring to a boil and serve immediately.
You can fry the lauki kofte, I made them in the appe pan to keep them low in fat. You can use cream for a richer,creamier taste, however ,it tastes just as great with milk.Vegans,use water instead of milk.The gravy will thicken, add water/milk as needed.
Here is the step by step pictorial recipe-
Grate lauki and squeeze out all the water
Add chopped onions(optional),green chilies and cilantro
Add the spices and Besan/Gramflour and mix well. Do not add any water as the salt will make the vegetables sweat
Cook in an appe pan till golden brown on both sides or deep fry
Ingredients for No Onion,garlic or Cream curry
Blend cashews and tomatoes into a fine paste
In Butter(you can use ghee, or oil for vegans) add jeera/cumin and cook till it crackles. Add coarsely pounded Green cardamoms
Add ginger and green chilies and cook for few minutes
Add cashew- tomato paste and cook
Add paprika and kasoori Methi and cook for few minutes
Add milk(Cream for a richer option and water for vegan option)
Boil and simmer till fat floats on top(Thats the sign that its cooked). Thin it as needed with milk or water
Add Lauki koftas or any type of kofta and bring to one boil and serve immediately
Please like my Facebook page to continue to get healthy,easy and tasty recipes from me
For Watermelon Sorbet/Popsicles, click here
For Achari Chicken, click here
For Blueberry Crunch/Crumble/Cobbler,click here
For Baingan Bharta in Pressure Cooker,click here
For Shyam Savera Puris, click here
For Daliye ka Dosa/Cracked Wheat Dosa, click here
For Restaurant Style Salsa in Minutes,click here
For Thai Veg Curry with Tofu/Paneer click here
For Saufiya Karela-No Fry Recipe click here
For No Onion,Garlic or Cream Curry,click here
For Sandwich Dhokla with Dosa Batter,click here
For Dates Walnut Cake- An Eggless Vegan Cake,click here
For Brown Rice Dosa,click here
For Moong Dal Appe-South Indian style,click here
This recipe will be a part of a compilation of recipes for Diwali at evergreendishes.com